The Secretary General for the Pacific Island Development Forum Mr. François Martel presented at a one day training session for participants in the UN based Pacific Small Island Developing States Fellowship on the Ocean and Seas (PSIDS-FOS) hosted by the Office of the Pacific Ocean Commissioner and facilitated by Islands First.
The training session was to provide the group with information on how the regional architecture can support the UN Missions in New York, and ensure they have up to date information on regional ocean issues relevant to upcoming UN processes such as:
• Fish Stocks Review
• Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction
• International Seabed Authority review,
• Informal consultative process on marine debris,
• States Parties to the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea (SPLOS)
• Sustainable Development Goal 14 (and SDG13)
• Disaster risk reduction as it relates to Oceans.
The Secretary General, Mr. Martel shared some insights on the similarities and close relationship between PIDF and PSIDS UN Missions especially in the area of sustainable development and the blue economy.
The group consists of four young Pacific Islanders from different countries, and the session was a precursor designed to set the regional context before they depart for New York.